Choosing the proper bearing lubricant can help keep a facility’s machinery safe and operational. Emerson Bearing Boston, a bearing company catering to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) and Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO) markets, offers tips for proper bearing lubricant selection and a complimentary online “Bearing Maintenance Guide”.
Grease or lubricant selection can make a huge difference in the performance and life span of a piece of equipment or system. While the proper lubricant can ensure smooth and reliable performance, the wrong lubricant can result in frequent maintenance and service outages.
For industrial applications, bearing lubricants come in three basic forms: oils and fluid lubricants; semi-solid or solid grease products (which are similar to fluid lubricants but also include a thickening agent); and dry lubricant powders and films for precise placement.
Below, Emerson Bearing offers five grease/lubricant selection tips:
– The machinery system and its operating conditions dictate which form and makeup of lubricant are the most suitable for use.
– Because lubricants need to be able to withstand heat and reduce friction, the most important factors to consider when selecting a lubricant are operating speeds, minimum and maximum system, and the viscosity of the lubricant in that range of operating temperatures.
– Different greases should not be combined unless the product directions explicitly allow for such mixtures. Instead, look for specialty greases and lubricants specifically designed for the conditions of the machinery and systems.
– Mixing two or more greases, with different base oils together, may result in a final lubricant product that loses many of the individual products’ unique benefits.
– It’s critical to match the service life of the grease to the service life of the bearing.
Special Guide for Keeping Bearings in Optimal Condition
The key to preventing bearing failure and maximizing bearing longevity is through proper maintenance. Learn more about lubrication and how to keep your system’s bearings in optimal condition and increase their operational lifespan through Emerson Bearing’s complimentary “Bearing Maintenance Guide”.
Emerson Bearing’s guide discusses the tips and steps to avoid preventable conditions and best practices to maximize bearing efficiency. It also addresses overall handling and storage guidelines, protection tips for each type of bearing, and additional resources to analyze first signs of bearing failure.
“We are dedicated to helping customers not only find the right bearing for their application, but the right lubrication to enhance bearing performance and extend service life,” said Steve Katz, president of Emerson Bearing. “Our online library contains the comprehensive information needed with regard to the selection, application and maintenance of bearings.”
To download Emerson Bearing’s “Bearing Maintenance Guide” from their website, visit https://www.emersonbearing.com/maintenance-failure-analysis/
About Emerson Bearing Boston
Founded in 1957, Emerson Bearing Boston specializes in bearings for niche markets nationwide. Emerson Bearing Boston offers customers a one-stop shopping experience. With an online product catalog with over 3 million bearings – ranging in size from 3mm to tunnel-boring 15-foot-diameter giants; a vast inventory of bearings; worldwide sourcing; a fixed price program; a knowledgeable staff; same day shipping and 24/7 service, Emerson Bearing Boston has become a leading provider of bearings in the U.S. They are the sister company of Action Bearing, which serves the New England market, and maintain headquarters at 201 Brighton Ave. Boston, MA. For more information, visit www.emersonbearing.com or call 800-225-4587.