CHICAGO, GURNEE, HOFFMAN ESTATES, NAPERVILLE, TINLEY PARK, IL …
Bing Crosby had a white one. Elvis was blue. And while a “green” Christmas might not translate into song lyrics as well as those other colors, celebrating the holiday season in a greener, more environmentally friendly way is certainly desirable. As the leading home improvement and furnishing club, DirectBuy, with several locations in greater Chicago, has some helpful tips on planning greener holiday celebrations.
“The holidays are a great time of year to get together with family and friends, but the amount of waste is really astounding,” said Jeremy Vest, owner of DirectBuy of DuPage County.
How much waste? Consider this: More than one million greeting cards are thrown away every year and the lights used to decorate your home produce enough carbon dioxide to inflate 12 balloons. Worse yet, more than 51 miles of wrapping paper finds itself used only once and then thrown away.
So, how can you have a greener holiday season? Follow these helpful holiday tips to ensure successful, environmentally friendly festivities:
- Use LED light instead of your classic holiday lights, which last 80 to 90 percent longer. The price for strands of LED lights are roughly the same as those classic lights. If everyone switched to LEDs in their household, the savings alone would be enough to power 200,000 homes for an entire year.
- Turn off your holiday lights and electronic decorations and devices when not in use. Even in standby mode these items can consume 15 percent of your household’s electricity.
- Use real glasses and dishes instead of disposable ones for your holiday party. Also, go with cloth tablecloths instead of throwaways.
- Send holiday e-cards online instead of mailing paper versions. Not only is this a more environmentally friendly approach, but you’ll also save a little change in postage. You can also create an online photo album yourself and circulate the link to family and friends to create that personal touch.
- Give experiential presents. This is a good idea if you’re not sure what to get someone and fear your gift may simply be stored instead of used. By gifting your loved ones with horseback riding lessons, a massage, or even a gift certificate for a class at their local continuing education facility you’ll stand out among the crowd plus help everyone live a little greener.
- Re-use your grocery bags or posters from old magazines by decorating them for use as wrapping paper. If that’s a little too work-intensive, by performing a simple online search you can quickly purchase recycled wrapping paper that can be delivered to your home quickly.
- Buy a real tree this year. Surprised we’re suggesting cutting down trees to stay green? Don’t be. Artificial trees are petroleum-based and non-biodegradable, and the manufacturing process includes metal and PVC derivatives, the by-products of which can cause harm to both humans and the environment. If you don’t have room for a full-size, farm-grown tree, buy a potted version that you can later plant in your garden and possibly re-use next year.
“The holidays really are a time for us to reflect back on the year and be grateful for the many gifts we do have. One of those gifts is the very earth we live on,” said I.J. Sell, owner of DirectBuy of Tinely Park. “By following just a few of these green suggestions, you can reduce your carbon imprint and, perhaps, even enjoy a more memorable holiday season knowing you’re making your corner of the world a little greener.”
For more than 38 years, DirectBuy clubs have offered members the opportunity to enjoy enormous savings on home furnishings, home improvement items, entertainment and outdoor products, flooring and accessories by purchasing from over 700 brand-name manufacturers and their authorized suppliers. With several convenient locations in greater Chicago (Chicago, Gurnee, Hoffman Estates, Naperville, and Tinley Park), consumers can enjoy a comfortable, country-club setting, where they finally have the financial control of buying direct.
For more information on a DirectBuy membership, you can visit http://www.directbuycares.com.
Since 1971, DirectBuy has helped hundreds of thousands of families enjoy a better quality of life, enabling them to buy directly from more than 700 manufacturers and their authorized suppliers. Buying direct makes members’ hard-earned money go much further, while having the selection and choice not available at any retail store. Access to confidential prices, local suppliers, and unparalleled selection helps make members’ dream projects a reality. The DirectBuy clubs serving the greater Chicago area are part of more than 160 locations throughout North America.
Consumers interested in becoming members may obtain a Visitor’s Pass to attend an Open House by visiting http://www.directbuycares.com.
Locations of the DirectBuy clubs serving greater Chicago area: DirectBuy of Hoffman Estates, 2200 Stonington Ave Ste. 150, Hoffman Estates, IL; DirectBuy of Chicago North, 6325 North Avondale Ste. 110, Chicago, IL; DirectBuy of DuPage County, 1864 High Grove Lane Ste. 124, Naperville, IL; DirectBuy of Lake County, 3900 Washington Street, Gurnee, IL; and DirectBuy of Tinley Park, 18400 S. 76th Avenue Ste. B, Tinley Park, IL.
To learn more about the superior value and benefits of a DirectBuy membership, visit www.directbuycares.com.