In your dad’s day, the “man cave” was the workshop in the garage. Today, it’s typically a finished room in the basement den dedicated to watching sports, possibly relaxing with an adult beverage or two, or the occasional workout. When the NFL season rolls around, however, the man cave completely morphs into a fan cave.
“A fan cave is essentially a man cave dressed up with memorabilia from the owner’s favorite teams,” said Mike Georgeff of DirectBuy. “When the NFL and college football season rolls around, the fan cave often becomes a gathering place for everyone, including female football fans. And that’s why most fan caves need a little help in becoming fan friendly.”
So what can homeowners do to make their fan cave more female- and family-friendly on game nights while remaining fun and functional the rest of the week? DirectBuy, the leading home improvement and furnishings club with direct insider prices, offers the following suggestions for man/fan caves for this football season:
- Kegerator – a fan-cave essential for a beer-drinking crowd
- Wide Screen TV with HD; surround sound speakers optional, but highly desirable
- Sectional sofa to accommodate multiple visitors; reclining chair with cup holders for the host
- Full-size, built-in bar area or free-standing, mobile bar station
- Tile or hardwood flooring that’s particularly resilient to potential spillage
- Pool table, air hockey, or foosball for halftime recreation
- Mini-kitchen with microwave to reheat buffalo wings
- Home gym equipment (e.g. treadmill, elliptical) to work off the excess calories consumed during fan cave weekend marathons—football all day Sunday, Monday, sometimes Thursday, and the college games on Saturdays
“Of course, the key to any fan cave is your team gear, merchandise, and souvenirs, and that’s almost always a matter of personal preference,” said Georgeff. “There is one recommendation fan cave owners should take to heart. If you want to preserve the furniture and electronic equipment, coasters and drink koozies with your team’s logo are essential.”
No matter what NFL or college team you follow, DirectBuy offers nearly everything you need to create the perfect fan cave – including autographed and game-used sports memorabilia – at prices direct from manufacturers or their authorized suppliers. DirectBuy also employs product specialists and professional designers well versed in the art of designing the perfect recreational space.
About DirectBuy Club
For more than 39 years, DirectBuy Club has been showing thousands of consumers unparalleled ways to save as they shop for virtually everything for in and around their homes – from furnishings, home improvement and flooring, to entertainment and outdoor products, accessories and much, much more. With more than 150 locations in North America, DirectBuy Club offers its members access to more than 700 brand-name manufacturers or their authorized suppliers in the US, and more than 500 brand-name manufacturers or their authorized suppliers in Canada.