One of the wonders of the holiday season is how it brings family and friends together—especially those loved ones who live far away and you haven’t seen in a while. If you want to do a little more than roll out the proverbial red carpet, there are some relatively quick and inexpensive home improvement projects you can undertake before guests arrive.
“It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the prospect of guests coming over for the holidays,” said Mike Georgeff of DirectBuy. “The truth of the matter is that with a tweak here and a little refreshing there, you can transform your home into impressive accommodations for your guests.”
Some quick and easy home improvement projects to take on prior to the holidays include:
Paint: If you’ve got the time, a new coat of paint will do wonders in upgrading the look, feel and appeal of your guest room or bath.
- Window treatments: Changing the appearance of your windows with blinds, valences, shades and curtains is an inexpensive way to add color to a room. To quickly give your room that holiday feel, simply tie some red ribbon around your new curtains.
- “New” furniture: While there may not be time – or a budget – to buy new furniture before the holidays, you can instead give your existing furniture a facelift using new slip covers or consider having one or two favorite pieces reupholstered.
- Linens: A new comforter, sheets and pillow shams can instantly jazz up a guest room.
- Shower curtains and bath towels: Again, something new not only makes guests feel welcome, but makes you feel better too. And while you’re working on the bathroom, regrout and repair or replace any broken tiles.
- Clean your gutters: Buildup in your gutters can lead to wet basements and slippery sidewalks, possibly endangering the safety of company.
- Outdoor motion sensor lights: Your guests may not have visited your home in a while, if ever. Installing motion sensor lights along your sidewalk enhances their safety and adds a deterrent for potential burglars when you’re out of the house during the holidays.
“Creating a welcoming look and feel for guests doesn’t take an extraordinary amount time or money,” said Georgeff. “By undertaking just a few of these home improvement projects, you can give your home a mini-makeover and create a welcoming environment for your company.”
DirectBuy offers many products to help your home look better and run more efficiently during the holiday season and the rest of the winter months—all at direct insider prices. In addition, DirectBuy also employs product specialists and designers, so if you need some assistance in selecting products or just a second opinion, you have seasoned professionals at your service.
For more than 38 years, DirectBuy has been showing thousands of consumers unparalleled ways to save as they shop for virtually everything for in and around their homes – from furnishings, home improvement and flooring, to entertainment and outdoor products, accessories and much, much more. With more than 160 locations in North America, DirectBuy offers its members access to approximately 700 brand-name manufacturers and their authorized suppliers in the US, and more than 500 brand-name manufacturers and authorized suppliers in Canada.