FORT MILL, SOUTH CAROLINA…
Not too long ago, the home office meant the corporate headquarters of a company. With more and more people running businesses out of their home or telecommuting to their “day job” a day or more a week, the home office has had to become every bit as functional and comfortable as the cubicle or office at work. To that end, DirectBuy of Fort Mill, the leading members-only home improvement and home furnishings club with direct insider prices, has some helpful tips on setting up your home office.
For starters, DirectBuy recommends drawing a floor plan of the room or area where your home office will be. Your floor plan should include markings of where the electrical outlets are and accurate measurements of the heights of the windows, doorways and any closet space to give you additional design options.
“If you’re going to be spending significant time in your home office, from eight to 20 hours a week or more, you’re going to want a space that’s a little more comfortable, functional and aesthetically pleasing than the spare room or corner of a room that’s passed for a home office in years past,” said Brian Harris, owner of DirectBuy of Fort Mill. “Many of our members work with our designers to create not only a comfortable workspace for one or more members of the household, but also a room you’ll want to show off to guests.”
Some of the things you may want to consider in planning your office space:
● Ergonomic chairs, desks, and other office pieces.
● Lower shelves so you can reach for books, folders, and other items without strain.
● Lighting under workspace shelves to make it easier to read.
● A mount or platform for your computer monitor so you can look at the screen without tilting your head up or down.
● Neutral, soothing colors for your walls like teal blues, soft cool grays, and warm Tuscan colors to create a relaxing work atmosphere.
● How much natural light does the room get and how much do you want? Do you prefer curtains to blinds? There are a wide range of innovative blinds, sheers, louvers, and shutters to achieve the look you want.
● The depth of the pieces you’re putting in your office. There’s nothing worse than trying to add a desk to a spot that fits length- and width-wise but leaves no room for the chair.
● Installing additional outlets to give you more layout and design options.
● Avoiding wall-to-wall carpeting if possible; offices are high traffic areas and wear will show on your rugs the more time you work at home. Use carpet tiles for the areas you want carpeting, so that you can replace them if they fade or show stains, and use hardwood or ceramic tile for the rest of the space.
DirectBuy of Fort Mill carries a large selection of brand-name office furniture at direct insider prices from manufacturers or their authorized suppliers. DirectBuy of Fort Mill also employs product specialists and designers who can help members create the home office that works best for their individual needs and for family members if it’s a shared workspace.
Since 1971, DirectBuy Club has helped consumers enjoy enormous savings on home furnishings, home improvement items, entertainment and outdoor products, flooring, and accessories, by providing an avenue to purchase directly from the manufacturer. Conveniently located at 2180 Carolina Place, Suite 103, in Fort Mill, South Carolina, DirectBuy of Fort Mill offers consumers a comfortable, welcoming setting where they finally have the financial control of buying direct.
About DirectBuy Club
For more than 39 years, DirectBuy Club has been showing thousands of consumers unparalleled ways to save as they shop for virtually everything for in and around their homes – from furnishings, home improvement and flooring, to entertainment and outdoor products, accessories and much, much more. With more than 160 locations in North America, DirectBuy Club offers its members access to more than 700 brand-name manufacturers or their authorized suppliers in the US, and more than 500 brand-name manufacturers or their authorized suppliers in Canada.