Nobody likes to move. And if you’re hiring a mover, that’s just one more thing you want to get over with as soon as possible. Yet by doing a little calling around and finding a mover based on how much you’re moving and where to, you can save yourself a considerable amount of money and time.
“Most people don’t realize there’s more than one kind of mover. So, when it’s time to move, they probably go to the phone book or Internet and choose the first mover they come across. Usually that’s going to be one of the larger movers. That’s fine if you’re moving a four-bedroom home. But if you’re moving less than a thousand pounds of stuff, for example your mother’s antique dresser and a few other pieces to your sister in Dallas, a large, national mover might not be the most cost-effective option,” said Joe Fell, co-owner of Boston Pack and Ship, a small load shipping specialist for the past two decades.
Typically, large moving companies charge by weight with a 1000 pound or 2500 pound minimum. Small load shipping specialists don’t have minimums, but generally handle shipments of 1,000 pounds or less. So if you’re moving less than the large mover’s minimum, you may want to consider other, more cost-effective options.
Besides minimums, there are several other differences between the larger movers and small load shipping specialists:
- Out of state moves – small load shippers strictly do out-of-state and international moves; large movers also offer local service within the same state.
- Estimates – small load shippers charge by the size of the shipment and where it’s going; movers charge by actual weight or a calculated weight based on the dimensions of your goods.
- Specialized packing services – many small load shippers offer custom crating and boxes, as well as higher-end technologies like foam-in-place packing. While larger movers offer packing, very few, if any offer foam in place packing or custom boxes for very delicate things like sculptures, large pieces of art, or delicate pieces of furniture. “
- Transit times – if you’re moving an entire house, then your move takes up the entire truck. For smaller shipments using small load shippers, they share space with other moves. Sharing space does bring the cost down, however it can affect the timing of your move. Small load shippers can help you control the timing but you often save a considerable amount of money if you can trade off time.
“We work with a number of larger movers and if the move is smaller than their minimum or there is a fragile item that requires our packing expertise, they’ll refer the business to us. Many times, people think that they only have a small amount to ship. After speaking with them, we can determine that they are better suited for a large mover and we make the referral to the appropriate mover,” said Fell. “The important thing for consumers to know is they do have options and to find the one that best suits their situation.”
Boston Pack and Ship specializes in moves of 1,000 pounds or less. In addition, it offers customized package and custom crate building services at its workshop in Braintree. For items like computer equipment, artwork and other fragile items, Boston Pack and Ship employs foam-in-place technology to “lock” those items in place and limit movement within the package.
The breadth of Boston Pack and Ship’s relocation services includes:
- Small loads – with no minimum requirement; blanket-wrapping for fragile, delicate moves; full insurance available
- Custom crates and packaging for computers, electronic instruments, prototypes, antiques and artwork.
- State-of-the-art, foam-in-place solutions to protect valuables
- Multiple U.S. and International shipping options—ocean or air—to help lower costs
- Door-to-door and door-to-port delivery with insurance available
- On-time pickups by appointment
For more information, you can visit the company Web site at www.bostonpackandship.com. For a free quote on an out-of-state or international move or shipment, please call (800) 400-7204.
Small load specialists
Boston Pack and Ship has been a trusted strategic partner of many movers in eastern Massachusetts for more than two decades. Based in Braintree, Massachusetts, Boston Pack and Ship employs custom crates and packaging and foam-in-place solutions to pack and ship everything from artwork to heirlooms, computers to antiques to both out-of-state and international destinations. Known for its fast and efficient customer service, one call is usually all it takes to schedule a pickup for a door-to-door or door-to-port shipment. For more information, visit www.bostonpackandship.com or call (800) 400-7204 for a free quote.