CHICAGO, GURNEE, HOFFMAN ESTATES, NAPERVILLE, TINLEY PARK, IL …
Winter in greater Chicago means spending a good portion of your time indoors. And while you want to keep your home warm, comfortable and cozy, that can run up quite a tab for your heating and electricity costs. As the leading home improvement and furnishings club, DirectBuy, with several locations in greater Chicago, has some helpful tips on heating your home more efficiently and keeping your electric bills in check.
“It goes without saying that during these tough economic times, homeowners want to save wherever possible,” said I.J. Sell, owner of DirectBuy of Tinley Park. “What’s amazing is that just by following a few simple steps, you can reduce your heating and electric bills significantly.”
Here are few things homeowners can do:
- Set the thermostat no higher than 68 degrees when you are home, lowering the temperature at night and when you’re out.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans and run at a slow speed. This creates a gentle updraft and re-circulates the warmer air trapped at the ceiling to provide even, comfortable heat throughout a room.
- On sunny days, open the shades and curtains on the side of your home facing the sun to take advantage of the heat benefits. Make sure to close the shades and curtains at night for the opposite reason.
- Be wary of blocking your radiators or heating vents with furniture or drapes. To maximize heat from your radiator, place a sheet of aluminum foil between the radiator and the wall to reflect heat back into the room.
- Replace all the lights in your high-traffic areas with compact fluorescent light bulbs. Replacing 25 percent of your lights with these bulbs can reduce your lighting expenses by 50 percent.
- Weatherize your home by caulking and weather-stripping all doors and windows. Be sure to lock your windows to make them tighter and draft-resistant.
“There are few things more brutal than a Chicago winter. Yet by following some or all of these simple steps, you can keep your home comfortable and manage to save a bit on your heating and electric bills,” said Sell.
For more than 38 years, DirectBuy has offered members the opportunity to enjoy enormous savings on home furnishings, home improvement items, entertainment and outdoor products, flooring and accessories by purchasing from over 700 brand-name manufacturers and their authorized suppliers. With several convenient locations in greater Chicago (Chicago, Gurnee, Hoffman Estates, Naperville, and Tinley Park), consumers can enjoy a comfortable setting, where they finally have the financial control of buying direct.
For more information on a DirectBuy membership, you can visit http://www.directbuycares.com.
Since 1971, DirectBuy has helped hundreds of thousands of families enjoy a better quality of life, enabling them to buy directly from more than 700 manufacturers and their authorized suppliers. Buying direct makes members’ hard-earned money go much further, while having the selection and choice not available at any retail store. Access to confidential prices, local suppliers, and unparalleled selection helps make members’ dream projects a reality. The DirectBuy clubs serving the greater Chicago area are part of more than 160 locations throughout North America.
Consumers interested in becoming members may obtain a Visitor’s Pass to attend an Open House by visiting http://www.directbuycares.com.
Locations of the DirectBuy clubs serving greater Chicago area: DirectBuy of Hoffman Estates, 2200 Stonington Ave Ste. 150, Hoffman Estates, IL; DirectBuy of Chicago North, 6325 North Avondale Ste. 110, Chicago, IL; DirectBuy of DuPage County, 1864 High Grove Lane Ste. 124, Naperville, IL; DirectBuy of Lake County, 3900 Washington Street, Gurnee, IL; and DirectBuy of Tinley Park, 18400 S. 76th Avenue Ste. B, Tinley Park, IL.
To learn more about the superior value and benefits of a DirectBuy membership, visit www.directbuycares.com.