CHICAGO, GURNEE, NAPERVILLE, TINLEY PARK, IL …
While it’s the objective of most homeowners to run a greener household, the other kind of green—dollars—often dictates how much you can commit. When selecting household appliances like a refrigerator, however, homeowners should consider the potential energy savings more so than the sticker price.
“At this stage of the game, consumers know they should be selecting an Energy Star product, but beyond that, it’s back to how much it costs rather than how much you can save,” said Jeremy Vest, owner of DirectBuy of DuPage County. “By doing a little research and examining your needs, you can save some green and be green.”
- Shopping for Energy Star-rated refrigerators that exceed the government’s minimum requirements.
- Reviewing energy guides supplied by the U.S. government that compare kilowatt-hour usage and estimated yearly energy costs associated with refrigerators. Energy guides are available online.
- Buying a refrigerator with a highly efficient compressor and good insulation. Poor compression or insulation can allow cool air to escape, which will raise energy costs.
- Selecting a refrigerator that enables you to choose the exact temperature you desire for both the refrigerator and freezer.
- Choosing freezer-on-top models that have an energy saver switch, which allows you to deactivate the anti-sweat function. This lowers moisture content, a feature that’s only necessary when humidity is high.
- Purchasing the smallest refrigerator that will comfortably meet your needs (smaller refrigerators consume less energy than their larger counterparts will because they have to less space to cool).
- Considering separate refrigerator and freezer units. This will increase the food-storage capabilities of both units and decrease the radiant loss from one compartment to the next (the amount of cold-air “leakage” from the freezer into the refrigerator that occurs with refrigerator/freezer combinations).
“Selecting an energy-efficient refrigerator reminds me of the old expression ‘don’t work harder, work smarter,’” said Vest. “While it’s an important first step to select an Energy Star-rated refrigerator, doing your due diligence can really make a dent in your monthly energy costs.”
The leading home improvement and furnishings club with direct insider prices, DirectBuy Club offers manufacturer-direct pricing on products ranging from energy-efficient refrigerators to televisions to kitchen cabinets, all from more than 700 manufacturers or their authorized suppliers. DirectBuy Club also offers design, delivery, and installation services.
With several convenient locations in the greater Chicago area (Chicago, Gurnee, Naperville and Tinley Park), consumers can enjoy a comfortable country club setting, where they finally have the financial control of buying direct.
For more information on a DirectBuy membership, you can visit http://www.directbuycares.com.
About DirectBuy Club
Since 1971, DirectBuy has helped hundreds of thousands of families enjoy a better quality of life, enabling them to buy directly from more than 700 manufacturers or their authorized suppliers. Buying direct makes members’ hard-earned money go much further, while having the selection and choice not available at any retail store. Access to confidential prices, local suppliers, and unparalleled selection helps make members’ dream projects a reality. The DirectBuy Clubs serving the greater Chicago area are part of more than 150 locations throughout North America.
Consumers interested in becoming members may obtain a Visitor’s Pass to attend an Open House by visiting http://www.directbuy.com.
Locations of the DirectBuy Clubs serving the greater Chicago area are: DirectBuy of Chicago North, 6325 North Avondale Ste. 110, Chicago, IL; DirectBuy of DuPage County, 1864 High Grove Lane Ste. 124, Naperville, IL; DirectBuy of Northern Illinois, 3900 Washington Street, Gurnee, IL; and DirectBuy of Tinley Park, 18400 S. 76th Avenue Ste. B, Tinley Park, IL.
To learn more about the superior value and benefits of a DirectBuy Club membership, visit www.directbuycares.com.