The adage “beauty comes from within” doesn’t just apply to the beauty of the soul…The beauty of your skin comes from within – and what you’ve been eating. The dermatologists at South Shore Skin Center know that beautiful skin depends on a number of factors and diet plays a significant part in your skin’s health and beauty.
South Shore Skin Center practitioners share their insight on various foods that may (and those that may not) help you maintain beautiful skin:
· Foods that are rich in antioxidants, such as fruits and vegetables are highly beneficial to the skin.
· Dairy is not beneficial to the skin, but it’s not bad for it either. There has been some controversy about dairy causing acne, but the doctors at South Shore Skin Center maintain that dairy does not cause acne.
· Whole grains that are low-fat are good for the skin. Bear in mind that grains such as flaxseed are better absorbed by the body if they are ground into meal before eating them. Adding at least one teaspoon of ground flaxseed to your diet per day is sufficient.
· Good hydration is good for the skin. Beware of drinking beverages containing caffeine, which is a diuretic. Drinking a lot of caffeinated beverages is not recommended because caffeine in large amounts will have a dehydrating effect. Drinking water is best for hydration.
· Try to eat foods that are rich in Omega 3s, which are essential fatty acids and benefit all organs. A typical diet that includes soybean oil has a much higher ratio of Omega 6, which actually blocks Omega 3 absorption. It’s better to eat foods made with olive or canola oil as these have a low ratio of Omega 6 and will not block the absorption of Omega 3s.
“When it comes to the health and beauty of the skin, the foods that we eat really do play an important part,” noted Dr. Richard Eisen, a board certified dermatologist and founder of South Shore Skin Center.
South Shore Skin Center
Founded in 1984, South Shore Skin Center is one of Massachusetts’ most progressive dermatology practices offering a wide range of medical, surgical and cosmetic services.
South Shore Skin Center’s cosmetic services include Fraxel re:pair and re:store; Gentle YAG, innovative Laser, IPL (Intensive Pulse Light), Thermage and treatments for age spots, acne scarring, birth marks, tattoos and more. The practice also offers a full range of affordable anti-aging services including Botox, wrinkle fillers, Microdermabrasion, laser skin resurfacing and chemical peels.
South Shore Skin Center offices are located at 223 Chief Justice Cushing Highway, Suite 202 in Cohasset, Mass. (781) 383-3340, and 45 Resnik Road, Suite 102 in Plymouth, Mass., (508) 747-0711. For more information, visit their website SouthShoreSkinCenter.com.