They may have been the inspiration for the movie Love Story, but after 40 years of marriage, Al and Tipper Gore are calling it quits. Unusual that a couple married that long is getting a divorce? Not as much as many might think.
“You’ve heard the 40 is the new 30? Well with people living longer, 60 is going to more like the old 45,” said Paul Falzone, CEO of eLove, one of the world’s largest online dating and matchmaking services. “At 60, people realize they could live another 20 30 years and they make the choice not to stay in an unhappy marriage rather than ride it out.”
While some people may divorce at a later age to get away from their current spouse, it begs the question of whether there can be a sequel to Love Story?
“Yes, yes and yes,” said Falzone, once divorced and now happily remarried for several years. “Being older and going through a divorce really is no different than somebody who’s 30. It’s not a life experience you wanted, but it happens. Now, after licking your wounds, you’re ready to get out there and see if you can find a Love Story with a happier ending.”
For many, it’s not that easy. It could have been years, even decades since you last actively sought a date. So, where do you start?
● Going slow – perhaps it’s a cliché, but a divorce is a life-altering event and you do need some time to heal.
● Avoid the bar scene – Getting out with friends and co-workers as a way to re-enter the social scene but don’t do it as a way to meet potential dates.
● Get fit – Being ready to date again means feeling good about yourself. Starting an exercise program or going to a gym can begin that process of feeling good about you again.
● Be wary of dating at work – it’s natural for you to be close to people you work with, particularly if they’ve helped you through a tough time. Just be careful before entering into a relationship or even dating somebody at the office.
● Networking – While being set up might not be your idea of getting back into the dating game, if you’re looking it couldn’t hurt to let people in your social or professional network know that you are interested in meeting new people.
● The ex – It’s safe to say that dwelling on the ex will not do much good in dating new people. Just remember that you’re dating again for you, not to get back at him/her or to find somebody before he or she does.
● Take your time before introducing your dates to friends and, especially family – if you think your divorce is an adjustment for you, it’s also one for family, friends and your children—even if they’re adults. Wait before introducing your date to them.
“No matter what your age, no matter how long you were married, getting back into the dating game doesn’t have to be scary. It can actually be an exciting time of your new life but you want to do it for the right reasons and be able to enjoy it,” said Falzone. “Take it slow, be open and upbeat, and you can find love again.”
For a free copy of Paul A. Falzone’s book “eLove: A Singles Guide”, please visit www.elovesuccess.com.
eLove is all you need
eLove, the next evolution in dating, has arrived. eLove is the first “life stage company” within the dating industry to provide different levels of dating services, from internet to traditional matchmaking, based on how serious singles are about meeting their soul mate. Never before has a dating service catered so completely to everyone regardless of their age, sex, or relationship goals. With matchmaking offices in 21 states and an online dating network of more than three million singles worldwide, eLove is everything that singles have been wishing for whether they are looking for casual dating or a serious, committed relationship.
eLove’s Matchmaking Service offices are located in: Arkansas (Bentonville, Fort Smith, Little Rock); California (Palo Alto, Sacramento, Walnut Creek); Connecticut (Glastonbury, Stamford); Illinois (Chicago, Downers Grove, Normal, Northbrook, Rockford); Indiana (Carmel, Ft. Wayne); Kansas (Overland Park, Wichita); Kentucky (Louisville); Maryland (Columbia, Frederick); Massachusetts (Newton, Norwell, Shrewsbury, Woburn); Michigan (Bingham Farms); Missouri (Springfield, St. Louis); Nebraska (Lincoln, Omaha); New Jersey (Saddle Brook); Nevada (Las Vegas); Ohio (Cincinnati); Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, Tulsa); Pennsylvania (Mechanicsburg); Rhode Island (Warwick); South Carolina (Greenville); Tennessee (Memphis, Franklin); Texas (Austin, San Antonio); Virginia (Falls Church, Richmond); Wisconsin (Appleton, Elm Grove, Madison).
For more information on eLove, visit www.elove.com.