Think of holiday burglars and many hearken back to the bungling thieves in the movie Home Alone. It’s safe to say that most burglars are a bit smarter than the ones tormented by MacCaulay Culkin. As the leading home improvement and furnishing club, DirectBuy of Orlando has some helpful tips on protecting your home for this holiday season and beyond.
“Gifts under the tree and additional vehicles in the driveway belonging to guests—some perhaps from out-of-state—present added incentive for thieves,” said Brian Cohen, owner of DirectBuy of Orlando. “There’s even more opportunity if you happen to go away for the holidays. By following some simple steps, you can safeguard your home against potential break-ins.”
Some hints to ensure a safe, happy holiday season include:
- Purchase an alarm system and advertise that fact on your exterior windows and doors.
- Secure your doors and windows at all times, particularly at night.
- Keep your window shades drawn, particularly near your Christmas tree. Gifts visible from street level provide huge temptation to thieves who may consider smashing the window to grab your packages.
- Headed out of town for the holidays? Utilize lighting timers for both interior and exterior lights to ensure it appears to outsiders that someone is still at home.
- After Christmas Day, don’t pile up empty gift boxes on the street for the garbage man, which simply informs burglars of the expensive gifts awaiting them inside your home.
- Keep your homeowners insurance policy up-to-date.
“Unfortunately, we don’t all possess the guile of Home Alone’s Kevin McCallister. It’s probably better and safer that way,” said Cohen. “By taking the above precautions, you can provide enough of a deterrent so that thieves leave your home alone.”
DirectBuy offers alarm systems and other items needed to protect your home during the holidays, all at direct insider prices. In addition, each DirectBuy club employs product specialists and designers who can help members select the system that works best for their home.
Conveniently located at 502 Sunport Lane, Suite 400, in Orlando, DirectBuy of Orlando offers consumers a comfortable, welcoming setting where they finally have the financial control of buying direct.
For more information on a DirectBuy Club membership, visit directbuycares.com.
About DirectBuy Club
For more than 39 years, DirectBuy Club has been showing thousands of consumers unparalleled ways to save as they shop for virtually everything for in and around their homes – from furnishings, home improvement and flooring, to entertainment and outdoor products, accessories, and much, much more. With more than 150 locations in North America, DirectBuy Club offers its members access to more than 700 brand-name manufacturers or their authorized suppliers in the US, and more than 500 brand-name manufacturers or their authorized suppliers in Canada.
Consumers interested in seeing DirectBuy Club’s savings, service and selection up close may obtain a Visitor’s Pass to attend an Open House by visiting directbuy.com or directbuycares.com.