Sure you’ve thought of being the proud author of an on-going column. You just know that being positioned as “the expert” would generate new business and galvanize existing ties. In effect, it would make you the “winner”.
Getting a gig such as an on-going column can be a daunting task. How do you go about it?
1. Select a reasonable schedule for the on-going column. It’s more likely to be monthly than weekly.
2. Draft an entertaining cover note to entice media gatekeepers.
3. Draft three punchy sample columns. Focus on practical, objective information that your audience would find useful.
4. Avoid self-promotion or any hint of a sales pitch for your business.
5. Email a cover note and sample columns to the appropriate media gatekeepers. This may include the business editor of your local daily newspaper; the managing editor at a niche/trade publication; an online article site, etc.
6. Follow up via phone with media gatekeepers after five business days. Note – It often takes five calls to the same editor to reach resolution.
7. Win, lose or draw – continue to draft additional relevant columns. Well written pieces on relevant topics will resonate with the media at some time.
Columns are worth the effort.
PR Works has helped numerous clients establish “the expert” position by developing on-going columns and relationships with targeted media outlets.
Let us know if we can help you obtain an on-going column and make you the WINNER.