On a scale of one to 10, Joe Fell and Bill Yankee, co-owners of Boston Pack and Ship, rate their business partnership as a 10. And that doesn’t strictly refer to the duo celebrating their 10 years as partners.
Says Fell, “Plain and simple, we work well together. That’s why it has lasted 10 years.”
Both Fell and Yankee operated as sole proprietors of The Packaging Store franchises in the late 1980s, with Fell located in Hingham and Yankee in Boston. Yet in a move designed to capture both the Boston market and the South Shore, they joined forces in 1999 and opened up shop in Braintree at 144 Lundquist Drive. And the rest, as they say, is history.
“Joe has a very good handle on the sales end of the business and getting new clients. My strength is in working with the customers. It’s a combination that’s served us well, particularly the past few years on our own,” said Yankee.
In 2007, Yankee and Fell broke free from their franchise agreement with The Packaging Store and became Boston Pack and Ship. With two decades in the business apiece, Fell and Yankee found themselves in the strange position of being a “new” business.
“Everything was essentially the same right down to the same two guys answering the phone, Bill and I, but we had to create a whole new identity as Boston Pack and Ship,” said Fell. “Just like everything else since Bill and I teamed up 10 years ago, it’s worked out. Being on our own has opened a number of doors and we’ve been able to introduce our services to several new markets.”
As its own entity and no longer paying franchise royalties, Boston Pack and Ship has reinvested those funds into marketing the company and building the brand on a local basis. That concentrated effort has allowed Boston Pack and Ship to:
● Develop an online presence through its Web site and search engine optimization; enabling them to attract new business from online searches.
● Enhance services with specialized services for senior moves, artwork moves, international students, estate services and international shipping.
● Participate in philanthropic endeavors; Boston Pack and Ship has contributed shipping materials and supplies to many charitable organizations, including the Marshfield Christmas, the Braintree Women’s Club and the Nickerson American Legion Post in Quincy, to name a few.
“Our 10-year anniversary as business partners is significant in a number of ways. First, I consider any business partnership that can last more than a decade to be successful. But beyond lasting power, we’ve also been able to improve what it is we do and grow our business and that’s really gratifying,” says Yankee.
As small load specialists, Boston Pack and Ship provides a number of services to accommodate hard-to-ship, delicate items, expensive business equipment and irreplaceable personal items for out-of-state and international moves. Those services include:
- Small loads – with no minimum requirement; blanket-wrapping for fragile, delicate moves; full insurance available
- Custom crates and packaging for computers, electronic instruments, prototypes, antiques and artwork.
- State-of-the-art, foam-in-place solutions to protect valuables
- Multiple U.S. and International shipping options—ocean or air—to help lower costs
- Door-to-door and door-to-port delivery with insurance available
- On-time pickups by appointment
- Student moves – no minimum requirements; storage space available for those summer months in between semesters
For more information on the breadth of Boston Pack and Ship’s services, you can visit the company Web site at www.bostonpackandship.com. For a free quote on an out-of-state or international move or shipment, please call (800) 400-7204.
Small load specialists
Formerly known as The Packaging Store and now repackaged as Boston Pack and Ship, these small load specialists have been a trusted strategic partner of many movers in eastern Massachusetts for more than two decades. Based in Braintree, Massachusetts, Boston Pack and Ship employs custom crates and packaging and foam-in-place solutions to pack and ship everything from artwork to heirlooms, computers to antiques to both out-of-state and international destinations. Known for its fast and efficient customer service, one call is usually all it takes to schedule a pickup for a door-to-door or door-to-port shipment. For more information, visit www.bostonpackandship.com or call (800) 400-7204 for a free quote.